Friday, March 12, 2010

Sesame Street Live with Cole



Jon and I are trying something new-individual date nights with our boys. We've done them with Jackson for a couple years now, but since Cole is getting older we decided it was time for him to get his own date night with mommy and daddy, too.
Since Sesame Street Live was coming to the Cox Center, I took the opportunity to plan this for his date. Cole loves Elmo and Cookie Monster.
We dropped Jackson off at Birdie and Grumpy's. Jackson was not the least bit jealous that Cole's date night came first. I don't know if he was happier about going to Birdie and Grumpy's or that he didn't have to see Elmo. That's for babies, you know!!!
When we finally got the convention center, it seemed like Cole was more interested in the seats. He kept sitting in them and then jumping out quickly and watching it flip back up. He climbed all over me. I was a little disappointed thinking, "He doesn't even care. I could've just saved 60 bucks."


But then Elmo began to sing, "La-la, la, la. La-la, la, la...Elmo's world!" Cole was singing...no shouting the song at the top of his lungs. He just stared at the stage and I just stared at him. I would've paid $60 just to see that sheer joy and excitement on his little sweet face. My mind went back to when Jack was 18 months old. We took him to see Elmo, and he gave that same look of pure childhood magic! It made me a little sad-to know that Jackson has grown so much in three years. Cole is now almost 2 1/2. I can't believe this. Seems like just yesterday I was up every hour in the middle of the night nursing that little curly, red-headed baby. Now, no more curls. No more red hair-it turned brown. But he still sucks his thumb and loves Elmo so...I'll take it.



I was feeling really nostalgic. In my mind, I was thinking..."I could do one more baby."
We took Cole to Lushberries-he wanted some "Gogut." We got him some yogurt, I'm feeding him and he's insisting standing in the chair. I look over and say, "Colie, sit down on your bottom," just as he takes a step backward and falls out of the chair. No catch with his arms, no knees hitting the concrete floor first to break the impact. No! That would be too convenient for me. He hits the floor face-first. I immediately pick him up and look at his mouth for bleeding and see half his tooth sitting on his lip. Perfect. This will be only the second time to have his tooth fixed, and actually, he chipped the one next to it months ago, but I decided it wasn't bad enough to take him back in. The kid isn't old enough to have had dental cleaning, but he will have made multiple trips for dental work. This...the week after Jackson had to have a filling. For the girl who used to work for a dental practice, I'm not doing very well with my own children.
I pick him up and hold and comfort him til he stops crying. He just kept saying, "My teef boaked." His little lips are swollen and bruised. He has a red bump on his head. I put him to sleep and close his door and think maybe God just wants this momma to have only two boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment