Monday, March 15, 2010

Date Night with Jackson



Tonight was Jackson's date night. When I asked him last week what he wanted to do, he said he wanted to eat dinner at Johnny Carino's (his favorite restaurant), go bowling, get a movie to rent, eat fondue at the Melting Pot, and get a toy at Toys R Us. I had to remind him that mommy was not a millionaire and I also had to keep the cost fair between he and Cole, so we narrowed our choices down. He settled for dinner at home. He requested chocolate-chip pancakes, bacon, and strawberries and blueberries. Breakfast for dinner is one of his favorites.




The boys making funny faces.





Next, we went bowling. On the way there, Jackson and I made a pact that he and I would be on a team and compete against daddy. I'm usually a pretty good bowler, but Jon has the whole "athletics" thing in his favor. Needless to say, I do not. Unbelievably, Jackson beat both Jon and I! Jon was behind by just two points-Jack was pretty proud of himself. He did have the benefit of the ramp to give a little extra boost, but even still, I was impressed! Jon and I really like bowling with the kids because it gives us an excuse to use the bumpers. I love the bumpers!


Check out that scoreboard-amazing, huh???

We took Jackson to Family Video and let him pick a Scooby Doo movie and a train documentary. Isn't he bizarre? What four-year old likes documentaries? Thank goodness for free kids movies at Family Video-makes for a cheap night of entertainment!
Afterwards, we headed to the Melting Pot. Jackson has been wanting to go there and have chocolate fondue for quite some time now. It's one of the "someday" things that we haven't ever gotten around to before. Jackson chose the Flaming Turtle-milk chocolate, caramel, and pecans, all flambeed. He loved it. I just loved watching him eat the chocolate. He didn't care that he was making a mess all over the table, his shirt or his face. He just enjoyed every minute of it. Jon and I hardly ate anything. But, Jackson had no problem clearing the platter. He even asked the waiter if he could have some extra strawberries.






As we left I asked Jackson if he had a good date night. He said, "Yeah, sometimes it nice to be without 'little trouble' (AKA Cole). But now, I'm ready to go home and see Colie."
Some things I noticed about Jackson tonight. 1)He loves to be touched, encouraged, and talked to intimately. 2)He is funny...really hysterical. 3)He thrives on one-on-one time. 4)He is the best big brother. He is glad to have time away from the little one, but he thinks about him constantly. He kept saying, "Mom, wouldn't Cole love this?"
Jackson, you are the light of my life, my joy, my firstborn son, and there is none like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment