Friday, June 8, 2012

Jack's Alopecia Update

A little update on Jack's Alopecia...ladies and gentlemen...we have hair growing back!  I took Jackson to another dermatologist to get a second opinion.  The news was pretty much the same, although I liked him a lot better than the last doctor.  He seemed to have better bedside manner and he eased my mind when he said, "If it were my son....".  That's exactly what I wanted to hear...not statistics, false hope, or "It's very common, don't worry."  I want to hear what the doctor would do if this little boy was his child, because I know every person wants the best for their child.  He didn't give me any magical insight, the verdict was still the same.  It is Alopecia Areata.  It may be progressive, or not.  It can't be cured with anything.  He did suggest a different medication than the last doctor prescribed.  He said this one was a little more aggressive at getting hair growth back and I have noticed hair growth!

1 comment:

  1. A friend of my sons' had the same condition, and his parents gave him the choice of how to deal with his condition. They helped him to understand it, what his prognosis was, and showed him several options from treatments to counseling. What their son chose was to continue seeing his doctor, but chose to deal with his hair loss by cutting his hair to a buzz cut, basically he kept it about an eighth of an inch long, and started collecting and wearing various head gear, such as do rags, hats, ball caps knit caps, cowboy, fedora,and fez's. At first some teased him, but only for a couple of weeks since his friends, including my boys, threatened everyone bullying him would be thumped severely. Soon it became him, and to see him without some kind of hat or cap was when they knew something was wrong. He is 25 today, completely bald, and owns about 1500, hats, caps, or head gear that he wears everywhere for all occasions. I hope for the best for your son, but please teach him as much as you can about his condition, and let him decide how to deal with it while you step back a little and be there to advise, back him up, and support him in whatever he decides.

    ReplyDelete