Tuesday, June 26, 2012

First Dinner of Summer

I've tried really hard since we've had children to make Sunday evenings our special family dinner night.  I wanted to make a tradition that my boys will remember and hopefully, continue to come to long after they move out of our home.  On Sundays, I try to fix something a little fancier than sandwiches and I use real dishes and silverware.  I even use cloth napkins because I have a goal of teaching my boys how to eat like gentlemen at dinner.  It's a losing battle, really, I don't know why I even bother.  Someone inevitably gets sent to the corner for burping...or worse, but, hey...a mother can dream, can't she?
This past Sunday, we enjoyed our first summer cookout.  We had barbeque chicken, squash and zuchinni, and tomatoes, all from our garden.  While Jon grilled, the boys had some fun on the Slip n' Slide and we finished the night off with roasting marshmallows and making s'mores.  Perfect Sunday dinner if you ask me.


This boy loves a chicken leg.  Notice the winter footie-jammies....it was only about 100 degrees outside.  Weird kid.


Jack making sure his "mallows" were just right.  I like mine a little burnt, Jackie.



Yeah, that's about perfect.



What a mess...but totally worth it.  Sticky goodness.



Son of a gun...that one was hot!  I'd burn all the skin of the inside of my mouth for a gooey marshmallow...I don't care that bad.

Even Sampson enjoys a s'more every now and then, which makes me giggle.  He loves them, but he hates that his paws get sticky.  I love watching him going crazy picking at his tacky, fuzzy feet all night.  It drives him bonkers...and makes me laugh.  I should've gotten a picture of him.  Enjoy a family dinner this Sunday with your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment