Sunday, June 19, 2011

Things I've Learned from my Father


This year has been a rocky year for me and my relationship with my parents. I'm not enjoying this season of my life in terms of trials I'm enduring, but I'm still trying to figure out what God is trying to tell me and how he's trying to better me and make me more like him. This year has made me long for heaven. I long to climb into my Heavenly Father's lap. I long to have some answers, some closure, some peace. I long for healing from sickness and heartache and pain. I have a really good dad, but I know my Heavenly Father loves me much more than my dad ever could. I was thinking today about my dad and all that he's taught me. Some examples are:


1. Pain is so much easier to deal with using humor.
2. Be able to admit when you're wrong and say, "I'm sorry. Please forgive me."
3. Don't be afraid of failure. The worst thing that can happen is that you fail: it's inevitable and you'll be in good company, so it's not so bad.
4. It's okay to make mistakes, just don't repeat them.
5. When you say "I do", be sure you mean it and stick to it, no matter what.
6. Be teachable.
7. Don't speak when you're angry...it only leads to disaster. Take time to cool down and compose yourself.
8. Nothing good happens after midnight.
9. Work hard because nobody OWES you anything.
10. Someone who talks a lot usually has nothing to say that's worth listening to.
11. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
12. Being goofy may make you look like an idiot, but it sure is fun.
13. Spanking or disciplining your kids really DOES hurt you more than them.
14. It's much easier to learn lesson's of what not to do by watching someone else rather than making your OWN mistakes.
15. You really can't understand until you're a parent.
16. If you can't pay for it with cash than you really don't need it.
17. Time flies.
18. I love you more you could ever know.

I got to looking at this list and noticed how all these things that my dad has taught me...God has taught me the same things. Thank you God for giving me a daddy here on earth who gives me a glimpse of just what kind of daddy you are.

John 5:20
The Father loves the Son and has shown him everything he does. The Father will show him even greater things, and you will be amazed.
Luke 15:20
So he got up and went to his father. “While the son was still a long way off, his father saw him. He was filled with tender love for his son. He ran to him. He threw his arms around him and kissed him.
Proverbs 3:12
For whom the Lord loves He corrects, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment